Space Artist and Dark Sky Advocacy

Astronomy is an intensely visual subject and it has a longstanding profound relationship with arts. For centuries, astronomers work together with artists or became an artist themselves to record the natural phenomena in the sky and in return stimulated questions about our place in the universe. Astronomy and arts have always been my passion ever since I was 7 years old. Living in a rural area at the southernmost part of Kelantan, I was served with the spectacular view of the starry night sky at minimum level of light pollution. Relentless nights of stargazing sparked the curiosity in me to explore more about the wonders of our universe, what lies beyond our solar system and beyond. I started collecting anything that I can get my hands on related to Astronomy since it’s hard to obtain Astronomy information and resources in the countryside back then. From Estidotmy magazines, science books and newspaper excerpts, I compiled the Astronomy information that I attained into a scrapbook. I visited the school library almost every single day and read anything that unravels the wonders of our universe beyond our mortal reach. Sharing the astronomical knowledge with others is also one of my passion, so I gathered like-minded peers in my school and deliver them the knowledge about the marvels of the night sky and the cosmos beyond. Ever since, my passion towards space continues to grow and I never stop gazing into the night sky and wonder about our place in the universe.

As my passion continue to develop and evolve, I came up with an idea on how to share my knowledge about our cosmos and connect others with astronomy, which is through Space arts. The delights of observing the night sky have inspired artists, composers, and poets to interpret the universe in their own creative way. Until today, humanity is inspired by the wonders of the night sky and has been continuously producing works of art to express the astronomical connection and to simulate the world beyond the sight of our telescopes and cameras. By expressing my passion for cosmos in form of arts, I inspire those who are not involved in the field to enjoy Astronomy as much as I do.


My first painting was the view of the gas giant Jupiter from Juno Spacecraft using acrylic medium. At this stage I was simply having and exploring the style in painting space subject. Each subject in my artworks are thoroughly studied, making the artworks artistically scientific. Before putting the image onto the canvas, I make research about the chosen subject online and read books about it. Incorporating science in arts helped me to express the knowledge I have in Astronomy and connect myself to the unreachable part of the universe. 


I explored objects with different wavelengths to add more colours and information into my masterpieces. This was done in one of my multiwavelength pieces; Pinwheel in Multiwavelength. The original image was captured by 4 telescopes which perceived deep sky objects in different wavelengths: Chandra X-ray telescope in x-ray, Galaxy Evolution Explorer in ultraviolet, Hubble Space telescope in visible light and Spitzer telescope in infrared. The images were compiled into a single image and the wavelengths were translated into a colourful and vibrant perceivable light. I also play around with different wavelength of light that reacts to the paint I used to add the wow factor in my artworks. For an instance, fluorescent paint that I use in the painting absorb the UV light I shine on it and re-emit it instantaneously, which made the painting glows.


Besides painting, I also love to show my fascination towards the cosmos in form of poetry. Before I came up with the visual space arts, I exhibit the Astronomy, Astrophysics and Cosmology knowledge and theories that I can grasp in form of poetry. Through poetry, I am making the theories more significant and “human” by relating them with emotions and events that usually occur in some part of our lives. We crave understanding and relation with others, like how Carl Sagan quoted; In all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other.” By making space field relatable to humans, we are able to connect ourselves to the universe on an intellectual and emotional level. I want others to feel how I feel whenever I go out into the cold night, looking through the eyepiece of my virtual time travelling machine, which is my 4.5 equatorial reflector telescope and be astounded by the celestial treasures that I get to observe scattering across the night sky. The emotions that I can describe at that time can only be described into a Japanese word; Yugen. It means an awareness of the universe that triggers emotional responses too deep and powerful for words.



Through my role as a space artist and astronomy enthusiast, I joined Dark Sky Malaysia as a Dark Sky Ranger and Dark Sky Astro Artist lead by Emma Zulaiha Zulkifli to raise awareness regarding light pollution, gazetting dark sky places and educating the public about Astronomy. Light pollution is one of the underrated environmental issue that has affected humans, ecological and climate. It is my role as a Dark Sky Astro Artist to reach out to the public regarding this serious environmental issue through my work of arts and educating the public about proper lighting in restoring our heritage, the dark sky. Dark Sky Malaysia has collaborated internationally with Globe at Night to conduct a citizen scientist project (Spot the Star Challenge Malaysia 2021) in delivering the message of light pollution awareness as well as involving the public with astronomy.



As a space artist, I am also invited locally and internationally to do virtual live painting, talk about my arts as well as educating my audience about astronomy and light pollution awareness. Recently I was invited by CosmoQuest to give talk about my space arts and the science behind my subject. I also gave talk to Laman Karya Lumut (LAKAR) about light pollution awareness in my arts. Integrating astronomy in arts gave my paintings more meaning and in hope to inspire a lot of people to pursue their passion towards astronomy in creative way.

Comments