Celebrating Light through Space Art: Tycho and Stargazer by Cosmic Tribe

 


I had the amazing opportunity to give a talk about space art in conjunction of International Day of Light organized by Cosmic Tribe on 13 May 2021 (1 AM MYT), which is on the early morning of Eid. The teaser video for this talk is epic! Watch this:


There were two speakers for this event, Thomas Heidtmann and me, Syahirah Stargazer. Thomas Heidtmann is a Berlin-based media artist and artist-curator, studied at the Berlin University of the Arts. He works at the intersection of art, science, and technology. As founder of SPARTH (since 2017) he investigates and promotes space-art activities. Since 2015 he has been a co-founder of Lacuna Lab e.V., a Berlin-based, artist-run association.


It was awesome to see artists that incorporate multi-disciplinary field in their work. As for Thomas, the main subject for his talk was Tycho, an interactive object that mimics the shape and behavior of the James Webb Space Telescope by capturing light with a sensor and transmitting its color via LEDs to a mirrored hexagonal surface, where it modulates a projection sequence inspired by images of the birth and death of stars.

Meanwhile I talk about expressing light through my space arts, which is divided into 4 elements : 
  • Fluorescent and UV light
  • Multiwavelength
  • Dynamics and motions 
  • Connection and emotions
I also showed samples of my arts which express light as the main subject in my painting based on the elements. Through the process of preparing the presentation slides to the day of the program, I discovered a lot about myself as well as my arts, and this personal discoveries empowered me to explore more about the potential of space arts can bring in connecting people with astronomy. 

Comments