Birmingham University Zoom Live with Space Artist Cathrin Machin

Cathrin Machin the Space Artist

On 28 April 2021, I had the opportunity to be in the zoom meeting with Cathrin Machin, a Science Communicator Contemporary Artist which I admire so much! Her space arts are surreal and she's knowledgeable in Astronomy, which I inspire to be. I stayed up till 2.30 AM MYT to watch her sharing her wisdom in bridging Astronomy to the public through arts. She's very friendly and tend to all the questions asked by the audience (Including my questions!). I even got to say hi and talked a bit about my journey of expressing passion in astronomy through arts.

Making the Science of Astronomy More Inclusive and Accessible Through Art



She's the stars! Look at her radiating smile!

I even wrote down her words of wisdom. Among the things she mentioned that stick with me was:

  • Once you gaze up the stars under the dark sky, you tend to forget about everything (I can confirm that!).
  • 99% of US and EU live under LIGHT POLLUTION. The kids are growing up nowadays not being able to look at the stars.
  • Curiousity is the great drive and arts is a great starting point for people to grow their passion in Astronomy.
  • Art is a great way to connect yourself to the stars.
  • It's amazing when you look at the stars, those little dots are suns to other planets.
  • When sharing about astronomy on social media, imagery is essential- make sure things are vivid and beautiful.
  • Pagans, Ancient Greeks, Sumerians etc.- All cultures are based around the stars because they live by looking up at the night sky. 
  • The Sun, the Moon and the Stars keep us grounded, show us true direction.
  • When making arts, remember TWO THINGS:
    1. Learn- Each painting is a lesson.
    2. Have fun- Release the expectation that paintings have to be perfect. It's not meant to punish you.

Group selfie!

Thank you Cat for your knowledge! I will continue to take inspirations from you and support your beautiful arts! Follow her on socmeds @cathrinmachin

 



Comments